Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Peak at my Classroom #mtboschallenge




This is Week 3 of the #mtboschallenge on twitter.  The challenge is to blog once a week for the remainder of 2014 (I already missed Week 2--OOPS!).  Each Saturday there will be a different prompt shared to blog about.  The prompt will be shared prior to Saturday on twitter using #mtboschallenge  You can link up on with the hosting blog (or any other that's shares the link up). Also link your blog post on twitter with #mtboschallenge . 


This week's prompt is to share a look into our classrooms. 

Wow!  I feel like I just disappeared for a few weeks there.  That is what the beginning of school will do to you!  It's been a crazy few weeks, and even now I am writing via mobile because we have gone out of town for the holiday weekend.


The great news is my classes are awesome.  I love the switch to 6th grade.  I love my co workers who are major collaborators and I love my students.

Even now my classroom isn't 100%.  I am saving my bulletin boards for my student aides (who take a class called iTeach as an elective) to design and decorate.  Nevertheless, here is a little peak into my classroom. 

My favorite part of my classroom is this awesome black cabinet.  Someone my parents know was getting rid of it a couple years ago and was going to throw it away.  It is solid steel and was white and rusted.  I painted it and absolutely love having it in my classroom.  It is infamous with the custodial staff because I have moved classrooms the past three years, and they had to move it each time!  It is incredibly heavy.
You can also see my math clock which is now hung on the wall.  My mom made this for a gift when I first started as a math teacher.  It is so fun for the kids, and it's painted with chalkboard paint so I can change the problems out.


On my shelf, I use shower caddies to store supplies.  The most important caddy is glue and scissors because we do interactive notebooks in my classroom!
This is where kids pick up supplies for group activities.  Last year, when I gave students the freedom to get supplies off the shelf as needed, things disappeared a lot :( so I am hoping by structuring supply handouts, I will not have quite as big of an issue with that this year.

I hope everyone is having a good start to the school year!  I am.  And I hope to blog more often now that the madness of the first few weeks has passed.

Mrs. Fine

4 comments:

  1. Your room looks awesome. How did you paint the metal shelf. I would like to paint my vertical file cabinets black, but not sure how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a major math teacher fail! I decided spray paint would be the best idea, but I failed to consider the massive amount of surface area of cubicle shelving. I used 10 cans of primer and 20 cans of black paint. For a free shelf, I made it a very expensive project!

      Delete
  2. I love the clock. I have thought about making one. Did you just paint one you found or did you make it yourself. I love the chalkboard paint idea. I never thought of that for a clock. I am going to have to do this!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom actually made it. She says she bought a clock at hobby lobby on sale and painted it with chalkboard paint. They sell really small clocks that look kind of like this but aren't actually a chalkboard http://www.amazon.com/DCI-Powder-Mathematics-Blackboard-Diameter/dp/B001FVRUFQ# That was her inspiration.

    ReplyDelete